Howard M. Goodfriend (shareholder)
HOWARD M. GOODFRIEND is a principal in the Seattle firm of Smith Goodfriend, P.S., Seattle’s oldest appellate boutique. Howard has argued hundreds of civil appeals in almost every substantive area of the law, representing publicly traded companies, small family businesses, professionals, state and local government, hospitals, and individuals. He is co-editor-in-chief of the Washington State Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Deskbook and author of the Appellate Practice chapter of the King County Bar Association Young Lawyer Division's Washington Lawyers Practice Manual. Howard is the immediate past president of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, is a founding member and past president of the Washington Appellate Lawyers Association, and has been repeatedly recognized by his peers as one of Washington’s top ten appellate lawyers and top 100 lawyers.
Smith Goodfriend, P.S. (1984-Present)
Shareholder since September 1988. Extensive appellate litigation practice in over 200 cases in all three divisions of the Court of Appeals, the Washington State Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court. Trial practice limited to appeal-related matters.
- State of Washington
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
- University of Washington (1984) J.D., Order of the Coif
- Williams College (1979) B.A., Cum Laude
Professional Activities and Publications
- Immediate Past President, American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- Author, Civil Appellate Practice chapter, King County Bar Association, Washington Lawyer's Practice Manual (2013)
- Co-Editor In Chief, Washington State Bar Association, Appellate Practice Deskbook (3rd Edition, (2005); 3rd Edition Supplement (2011); 4th Edition (2016).
- Author, The Perfect Tim Eyman Birthday Present, Book Review, Washington State Bar News, (May 2003)
- Founding Member and Co-President (2005-12), Washington Appellate Lawyers Association
- Repeatedly selected as “Washington Super Lawyer” (top 100 attorneys) and “Best Lawyers in America”